|“||Three Doomfists and only the first a hero. It's a shame.||„|
Each Doomfist has wielded a powerful gauntlet. The first, Adhabu Ngumi, became known as the Savior, though little is known about him or his exploits. The second Doomfist, Akinjide Adeyemi, was a war profiteer and member of the Talon mercenary organization who became known as the Scourge of Numbani.
The third Doomfist, Akande Ogundimu, was a former professional martial artist and the heir to his family's cybernetics company. Following an injury that cost him his right arm and ended his fighting career, Ogundimu was approached by Adeyemi, who hired him as a mercenary and eventually brought him into the Talon organization, acting as his mentor. Ogundimu's natural intelligence and leadership abilities, as well as his physical prowess, allowed him to quickly rise through the ranks of the organization. In time his aspirations would lead him to kill Adeyemi, claiming his gauntlet and the Doomfist title as his own. Thereafter he became known as the Successor.
During a Talon initiative to plunge the world into a global war, Ogundimu was defeated by an Overwatch strike team lead by Winston. Ogundimu was imprisoned in a maximum security facility operated by Helix Security International, and his gaunlet was put on display in an Overwatch Museum. Later, Widowmaker and Reaper tried to retrieve the gauntlet, but were fought off by Winston and Tracer; Doomfist's gauntlet was briefly used by a bystander, Brian, to help drive off the Talon operatives.
Some time after Overwatch's recall, Doomfist was freed from the Helix prison facility by Reaper. Following his escape, he traveled to Numbani where he fought against several OR15 defense units specifically designed to combat him. He easily destroyed the OR15 units, and no civilian casualties were reported. He thereafter reclaimed the gauntlet and left Numbani.
- Doomfist was not intended to be a major character during development—he began life as a throwaway line in the intro cinematic to Overwatch (the name of "Doomfist" itself was invented by Chris Metzen). After his gauntlet featured in the cinematic, and references were made to him in Numbani, it was decided to make him a "generational character," as in, when multiple characters in the same universe wear the same moniker (Metzen has used The Flash and Green Lantern as examples of this concept).
- There is a Reaper voice clip mentioning Doomfist: "Doomfist should do his own dirty work."
- The Doomfist gauntlet is pictured at the end of the Sombra Origin Story video as a node in the conspiracy web diagram.
- It's possible that all the gauntlets are the same but upgraded each time it's passed on.
- 2015-12-10, How Blizzard is making up Overwatch's story as it goes. PC Gamer, accessed on 2015-12-24
- 2014-11-07, Overwatch Cinematic Trailer. YouTube, accessed on 2014-11-30
- 2015-08-04, Volskaya Industries CEO announces increased mech production after new attacks from Siberian omnium.. Twitter, accessed on 2015-08-11
- Overwatch, Numbani
- 2017-07-04, Talon Involvement Confirmed in Previous Attack on Helix Facility, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2017-07-04.
- 2017-3-2, Developer Update | Introducing Orisa | Overwatch, Youtube.
- 2017-02-24, Overwatch Tweet, @PlayOverwatch, Accessed on 2017-02-24
- 2017-02-21, , The Overwatch Character Teases Continue In-Game. Accessed on 2017-02-25
- 2016-07-17, I went over all available voice files on the PTR... Comment by Jbrown765 Reddit, accessed on 2016-11-07