In Overwatch, health (or hit point, HP) is an important factor in gameplay. Heroes spawn with a limited amount of health, which can be changed under the effect of some weapons and abilities. Some of them can inflict damage, and lower the health. On the other hand, some abilities can be used to replenish the lost health; referred to as healing.
Every time a hero's health falls below 75, they will gasp deeply in pain, and every time their health goes back above 75, they will let out a relieved sigh. Furthermore, while their health is under 75, a blood-smearing red outline appears around the game screen, certain sounds become distorted, and the hero periodically lets out a pained breath. When the hero's health is fully depleted, they are eliminated and will be put out of the game until the next respawn.
In the HUD, health is shown in the lower-left corner, next to the hero's portrait, on a health bar. The health bar is divided into 25-health increments. In addition to regular health, heroes may have other type of health, such as armor and shield.
Order of priority for damage inflicting Edit
When taking damage, the order of damage priority will follow the rule:
- Health type which is on the right most of the health bar will receive damage first.
- After one type of health is depleted, the left one will be the next to receive damage.
- The left most of the health bar will receive damage last.
Thus in detail, the order of damage priority is:
- Temporary shield (from Lúcio's Sound Barrier or Doomfist's The Best Defense…).
- Innate shield.
- Temporary armor (from Brigitte's Repair Pack or Torbjörn's Overload).
- Permanent armor (a hero's innate armor or armor added by Brigitte's Rally).
- Regular health.
Temporary shield will be the first to be damaged, and when all protection is gone, the last one to get damaged is regular health.
Health types Edit
Regular health Edit
Represented on the health bar by white increments, the regular health is the last to be damaged. It does not have any special characteristic. Health cannot be generated by itself (except for Mercy, who can regenerate health at a rate of 20 HP/s after not taking damage for 1 second) and it can only be refilled by healing.
| “Current outlook: uncertain.”|
This content is currently being modified on the Public Test Region.
Please refrain from editing the page to include the PTR changes until they are added to the live version of the game.
This means that armor is especially effective against rapid fire weapons and shotguns, both of which deal damage by firing many low-damage hits in succession or multiple low-damage pellets in one shot. In like manner, armor is ineffective against weapons that inflict a huge amount of damage in one shot, for example: sniper shots, rocket launcher, etc.
Armor normally maintains a heavy metallic aesthetic throughout the game. Shots which hit armor will generate sparks instead of a blood splatter.
While innate armor is represented by yellow health ticks, temporary added armor is represented by orange markers. Its function is identical to normal armor, except only innate armor can be healed; as the name suggests, temporary armor cannot be healed but can be replenished by reaquiring it through abilities or allies.
- Torbjörn's Overload ability grants him 150 temporary armor. While it can be healed like innate armor, it is removed from his health bar once the 5-second ability ends.
- Brigitte's Repair Pack grants up to 75 temporary armor through overheal. The armor dissipates after 5 seconds, and cannot be restored through healing.
- Brigitte's Rally ultimate gives players a maximum of 100 temporary armor. Like Torbjörn's Armor Packs there is no time limit on the armor, but it cannot be restored with healing.
Represented by light blue increments, shield has the same characteristic as regular health. However, shield will regenerate at a rate of 20 per second after 3 seconds of taking no damage. Shield can be self healed, and it can also generate itself while being healed.
Shield maintains a light blue "force field" aesthetic (as commonly portrayed in science fiction); it is presumed that energy is required to create and maintain this form of shield. A structure composing of light blue transparent hexagons will cover the heroes who receive additional shield. Shots which hit shields will generate small hexagonal pieces instead of a blood splatter. When shield is depleted, a breaking effect along with a cracking sound will be generated.
Symmetra's ultimate prior to Patch 1.25, Shield Generator, could provide 75 additional shields to any friendly hero within a 50-metre radius. (Shield Generator was removed in patch 1.25 and replaced with Photon Barrier.)
Temporary shield Edit
Represented by dark blue increments, temporary shield has the same characteristics as regular health, but is not in a hero's default HP pool; it must be added onto a hero's HP via an ability. Whereas regular shield regenerates after a period of time, temporary shield either constantly decays or dissipates after a set time period, and cannot be healed by any means other than the ability which granted it.
The following abilites grant temporary shield:
- Doomfist's The Best Defense... builds up temporary shield to a maximum of 150 additional HP when he does damage to enemies with his abilities, and decays at a slow rate of 3 HP per second.
- Lúcio's Sound Barrier grants heroes 750 temporary shield which decays rapidly at a rate of 125 HP per second, causing the temporary shield to last 6 seconds max. It is called "personal shield" in the ability's official description.
- Wrecking Ball's Adaptive Shield grants him 100 temporary shield upon use, which increases by 100 for every enemy nearby when the ability is cast. Rather than decaying, these shields dissipate entirely after 7 seconds.
Barrier is not included in the hero's health bar and cannot be healed by any external source.
Brigitte, Winston, Reinhardt, Orisa and Symmetra can provide physical blue barriers that soak up certain amounts of damage before being destroyed. Zarya can momentarily provide both herself and her teammates with a different type of barrier that, when attacked, soak up damage and increase the Energy level of her cannon.
Healing abilities Edit
Some heroes' abilities can heal other teammates or themselves, consisting of:
Support heroes Edit
- Ana's Biotic Rifle can be used to heal other teammates at the rate of 75 HP per hit.
- Biotic Grenade can be used to heal multiple teammates (including herself) within its range by 100 HP and increase all affected allies' healing from any source by 50% for 4 seconds. Biotic Grenade is currently the only ability in the game that nullifies all enemy healing - including health pack pickups.
- Nano Boost can instantly heal the target for 300 HP.
- Brigitte's Repair Pack will heal up to 150 HP per use, with any overheal converting into a maximum of 75 armor (which lasts for 5 seconds).
- Inspire ability heals 16 HP/sec over 5 seconds within a 20 metre radius, allowing her to potentially heal a total of 80 HP to each ally when she lands a hit.
- Lúcio's Crossfade: Heal can be used to heal other teammates at the rate of 16.25 HP/sec and himself at the rate of 13 HP/sec, or at the rate of 46.8 HP/sec and 37.5 HP/sec respectively when boosted by Amp It Up.
- Mercy's Caduceus Staff can be used to heal other teammates at the rate of 50 HP/sec.
- Moira's Biotic Grasp (primary fire) can be used to heal other teammates at the rate of 80 HP/sec.
- Biotic Orb can be used to heal multiple teammates (including herself) within its range up to a collective total of 300 HP at the rate of 75 HP/sec.
- Coalescence can be used to heal other teammates at the rate of 140 HP/sec.
- Biotic Grasp (secondary fire) and Coalescence can be used to heal herself whenever she damages enemies.
- Zenyatta's Orb of Harmony can be used to heal other teammates at the rate of 30 HP/sec.
- Zenyatta's Transcendence can be used to instantly refill his own Health, give him temporary invulnerability, and heal other teammates at the rate of 300 HP/sec - the fastest and most powerful heal presently in the game.
Other heroes Edit
- Bastion's Self-Repair can be used to heal itself at the rate of 70 HP/sec at a maximum of 300 HP in a continuous use.
- Mei's Cryo-Freeze can be used to heal herself at the rate of 37.5 HP/sec at a maximum of 150 HP per use.
- Soldier: 76's Biotic Field can be used to heal other teammates and himself within its range at the rate of 40 HP/sec at a maximum of 200 HP per use. It is the only ability not used by a support hero to heal teammates.
- Sombra can hack a Health Pack, decreasing its cooldown and denying enemy usage.
- Reaper's The Reaping will heal himself for 20% of the damage done to enemy heroes.
- Roadhog's Take A Breather can be used to heal himself at the rate of 300 HP/sec at a maximum of 300 HP per use.
- Tracer's Recall can be used to regain all Health lost in the last 3 seconds.
- Torbjörn's Molten Core can be used to give himself temporary innate Armor, and heal his turret to full health.
- Winston's Primal Rage can be used to regain all Health lost before the ablity's activation, and increase his regular health by 500 HP.
In addition to a hero's abilities, health may be restored through features on the map, including:
- Small Health Packs (75 HP; 10-second respawn time by default)
- Its respawn time will be reduced to 25% of its original time (2.5 seconds by default) when hacked by Sombra.
- Large Health Packs (250 HP; 15-second respawn time by default)
- Its respawn time will be reduced to 25% of its original time (3.75 seconds by default) when hacked by Sombra.
- Payloads (10 HP/sec)
- Spawn Rooms (400 HP/sec)
- Heroes cannot take damage from any source (including themselves) in a spawn room.
|Hero||Base Health||Base Armor||Base Shield||Base Total|
|Winston (Primal Rage)||900||100||0||1000||1075||1100||1175||1750||1925|
|Hero||Base Health||Base Armor||Base Shield||Base Total|
- The health bars of enemies will be visible after the player inflicted damage to them, and will be invisible again after 5 seconds have passed.
- The ceiling of HP in the entire game can only be achieved by Wrecking Ball while 6 enemies are within range of his Adaptive Shield. He requires teammates of Brigitte and Lúcio, and can achieve 2225 HP for one server tick (due to the rapid decay of Sound Barrier).