|“||Listen up you wretched scum. I see your struggles. Trying to survive in the wasteland. It's time to face the facts. The end of the world's come and gone. Your past lives are a dream. It's time you woke up. They thought they could take our land and give it to the machines? They were wrong. We won the war. And now we reap the spoils. We built a new world from the ashes. So step into the Scrapyard. No rules. No mercy. Only the strong survive. This is your queen. Welcome to the apocalypse. Welcome to Junkertown.||„|
|~ The Queen|
|Shanty town, desert|
Junkertown is an Escort map located in the harsh and unforgiving Australian Outback. Constructed from the remains of a destroyed omnium, it's now the home to a band of lawless scavengers known as the Junkers, led by their cutthroat Queen. When they aren’t pillaging the omnium's skeleton for anything of value, the Junkers blow off steam in the Scrapyard—a massive gladiatorial arena whose combatants fight for glory, riches...and to survive.
Junkertown is a dirty, dangerous, harsh, chaotic, grungy settlement located in the Australian Outback, constructed from the ruins of the Australian omnium. It is the home of the Junkers, and ruled by an individual called "the Queen". The entrance to the town is a fortified gate with a guard tower. The denizens of the town are taxed, and if they don't pay up, the Queen sends her henchmen around to collect what's due.
Junkertown does have some amenities that one would expect from a proper town—repair shops, bars, tattoo shops, etc.
The payload consists of the riches Junkrat and Roadhog collected in their global heist spree along with a "surprise" of explosive as revenge for being exiled. The spawn for the attacking team is initially placed at Roadhog's farm, with the payload being escorted throughout the desert and Junkertown.
- This section is a stub section. You can help by adding any available information to this section.
- The reveal of Junkertown as a map resulted in controversy in Australia. The first was the presence of a shop that had the words "take out" (an American term rather than "take away" (an Australian term). Jeff Kaplan promised to change the sign. The sign was subsequently changed, with a tongue-in-cheek apology from Kaplan. Additionally, the Queen's statement of "they thought they could take our land and give it to the machines" generated some controversy given Australia's colonial history in regards to its native indigenous groups.
- As part of the map's sound design, Blizzard staff visited an actual ghost town, where natural sounds were generated from dilapidated objects.
- If either team has a Roadhog or Junkrat there will be audio cues at the first escort point from the Queen expressing her disdain at them returning.
- Roadhog's chopper in the attacking spawn room is the first destroyable prop in the game that shows hit markers. It has about 2500 health.
- If Wrecking Ball is on either team, “Wrecking Ball has returned to claim his title” will sound on the intercom
- Junkrat, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2015-23-09
- 2017-08-21, Junkertown | New Escort Map | Overwatch. YouTube, accessed on 2017-08-22
- 2017-09-12, New Map Preview: Junkertown | Overwatch. YouTube, accessed on 2017-09-15
- 2017-08-21, "Junkertown: The Plan" | Overwatch. YouTube, accessed on 2017-08-25
- Junkertown: Wasted Land
- 2017-08-23, Blizzard Apologizes To Entire Country Of Australia About Overwatch, Here's Why. GameSpot, accessed on 2017-08-27
- 2017-09-01, Blizzard Fixes 'Culturally Insensitive' (Not Really) Overwatch Sign. Kotaku, accessed on 2017-09-01