|“||Talon HQ is so dreary; it’s nice to get out of Rome every now and again.||„|
Rome is the capital city of Italy.
8 years before the present day, the Blackwatch Rome facility was attacked shortly after the attacks on Oslo. A bomb set by a Talon agent destroyed the facility and killed numerous members of its staff, and injured Gerard Lacroix as well, along with causing some damage to the surrounding area. This event would lead to the Venice Incident.
- When designing Rome, the developers wanted a "romantic" feel to the map, capturing the feel of Old World architecture. Prior to working on the map, one of Team 4's environment artists had visited Rome, and returned to Blizzard with thousands of pictures. Some Roman Empire architecture was rebuilt in the map (the actual structures having long since been lost to history), but done in the "Overwatch style."
- The map "Colosseo" was initially named "Rome" when it was first announced at BlizzConline. By March, 2022, it had been changed to "Colosseo."
- The city is connected to the hyperloop line.
- An advertisement for Rome appears in Grand Central Terminal.
- Observing Rome via the Colosseo map, one can see large ring-shaped objects hanging in the sky. Craft can be seen approaching these objects, lingering within them for a second, then being boosted forward before disappearing. In form and function, these devices appear similar to stargates from StarCraft.
- 2021-02-20, BlizzConline 2021 | Behind the Scenes of Overwatch 2 | Overwatch. YouTube, accessed on 2021-03-13
- 2022-03-10, OVERWATCH 2 COMMUNITY UPDATE. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2022-03-11
- Overwatch 2, Midtown