Though the travelers and road trippers who used to cross the US on historic Route 66 are gone, the Main Street of America still stands, a testament to a simpler time. The gas stations, roadside shops, and cafes have gone into disuse, and the fabled Deadlock Gorge is mostly seen from the comfort of transcontinental train cars. But amid the fading monuments of that earlier era, the outlaws of the Deadlock Gang are planning their biggest heist yet.
The payload on this map is a carrier for a US military bomb. The attacking team must escort it to the Deadlock Gang's cave hideout.
Overhead map Edit
- Concept Art
U.S. Route 66 was a highway that ran through the American Southwest from Santa Monica, CA to Chicago, IL. Since the Interstate Highway System was introduced, the route was officially decommissioned in 1985.
The establishments around the route have fallen into disuse with the introduction of transcontinental hypertrains. One segment of the highway, the Deadlock Gorge, has been completely abandoned by law-abiding citizens, leaving only the Deadlock Gang, which took advantage of the solitude for illicit weapons trafficking.
During its golden age, Overwatch took on the challenge of dismantling the gang. Gabriel Reyes led a Blackwatch sting operation in the gorge, capturing several gang members, including Jesse McCree. Reyes saw potential in McCree and allowed him to join Blackwatch to turn a new leaf - the remaining Deadlock members still resent him for this.
Recently, the Deadlock Gang has pulled off their biggest heist. They used explosives to blow up a bridge above the gorge, leaving destroyed U.S. military traincars scattered around the Panorama Diner. From the train, they have stolen a large bomb.
Easter Eggs Edit
- The Panorama Diner is filled with references to Blizzard's other games:
- A poster depicts a bottle of Diableaux Hot Sauce (Hot as the Burning Hells!)
- A check signed by Deckard Cain is hung on the wall.
- Several "Craft from the Stars" comics are lying on tables.
- The second attackers' spawn is a tourist trap called the Cave of Mystery, using Hal-Fred Glitchbot's movie They Came From Beyond The Moon as a theme.
- In The High Side, there are several Hearthstone playing cards.
- The first defenders' spawn is Deadlock Propane and Propane Accessories, references the Texas-based animated show King of the Hill and propane enthusiast main character Hank Hill's job.
- In the cave, there are crates marked with the logos of various companies, including Lumérico, Kofi Aromo, Adams Instant Chicken and Rice, Lucheng Interstellar, Rikimaru, and Salt-Flavored Potato Chips.
- In the final defenders' spawn, there is a computer with Hearthstone open.
Patch changes Edit
|Maps in Overwatch|
|Assault||Hanamura (Winter) •• Horizon Lunar Colony •• Temple of Anubis •• Volskaya Industries|
|Escort||Dorado •• Junkertown •• Rialto •• Route 66 •• Watchpoint: Gibraltar|
|Hybrid||Blizzard World (Winter) •• Eichenwalde (Halloween) •• Hollywood (Halloween) •• King's Row (Winter) •• Numbani|
|Control||Busan •• Ilios •• Lijiang Tower (Lunar) •• Nepal •• Oasis|
|Arcade||Arena||Black Forest (Winter) •• Castillo •• Ecopoint: Antarctica (Winter) •• Necropolis|
|CtF||Ayutthaya •• Ilios Lighthouse | Well | Ruins •• Lijiang Night Market | Garden | Control Center •• Nepal Village | Shrine | Sanctum •• Oasis City Center | Gardens | University|
|Deathmatch||Château Guillard (Halloween) •• Petra|
|Event||Lúcioball||Busan Stadium •• Estádio das Rãs •• Sydney Harbour Arena|
|Other||Adlersbrunn •• Lijiang Tower (CtR) •• King's Row (Uprising) •• Rialto (Retribution)|