|September 11, 2018 Patch|
|August 28, 2018 Patch|
|October 9, 2018 Patch|
|All Patch Notes|
Pick your heroes and pack your bags—we’re traveling to Busan!
In our newest map, heroes will fight in the heart of South Korea, home to former professional gamer and famed MEKA pilot, D.Va. Over the past six months, I’ve worked on creating the environment and buildings within each of Busan’s three stages: Sanctuary, Downtown, and MEKA Base.
We released this map alongside our latest cinematic short featuring D.Va, Shooting Star. Because of this, we worked closely with the cinematics department to recreate the MEKA Base as closely as possible. We wanted players to feel like they’re in the film as soon as they load into the map. This is the first time we’ve done this kind of collaboration, and we think it was a success! The way the map looks in game and in the short are much more similar than our previous attempts.
That said, it’s not a straight one-to-one. In the game, in addition to looking great, a map needs to be playable and—most importantly—fun. As such, we expanded and built out parts of the MEKA Base that made it intuitive for players to understand the space they’re in and to offer unique gameplay moments. You can see one of these changes on the control point in the MEKA Base. There are three blast shields that go up and down, providing cover from enemy fire. An alarm accompanied by a flashing light and steam indicates when the shields will rise from the ground, signaling to the team that it is safe to attack the point. This is the first time we’ve intentionally designed moving terrain as part of a map’s strategy.
The whole team poured a lot of love and effort into capturing the likeness of Busan and building out the story of D.Va and South Korea. You may notice that D.Va’s room inside the MEKA Base is full of trophies she won as a professional gamer, along with a top-of-the-line gaming rig—and even a couple of cans of Nano Cola.
We really do hope that you will love playing on this map, and we’re looking forward to reading and hearing what you have to say about it!
- —Simon Fuchs, Senior Environment Artist
New Map: Busan
Travel to Busan, South Korea and battle for control across three distinct locales within one map: Sanctuary, Downtown, and MEKA Base.
Explore the serene setting of the Sanctuary, surrounded by an ancient temple, beautiful gardens, and historic architecture. Clash in the bustling metropolis of Downtown, where players will fight across a busy PC bang, flashy karaoke bar, and central light rail station (just watch out for the train). Contest for position in MEKA Base—home of South Korea’s frontline defense against the gwishin omnic attacks: D.Va and the rest of the MEKA squad.
Hero Gallery - Filter
View all of the cosmetics Overwatch has to offer with our new Filter feature in the Hero Gallery. Customize your search for cosmetics by category (including seasonal events or whether they're from the Overwatch League), rarity, and whether they are unlocked or waiting to be collected.
- Added visual outlines to make allies visible through walls
- Developer Comments While this is a bug fix, we wanted to highlight this change as it can affect gameplay by changing the damage output of the affected heroes in certain situations. After this fix, weapons with spread should now correctly calculate critical damage for each individual pellet that lands in a critical region (e.g. a headshot). The end result of this change is that it should be significantly easier to deal critical damage with any weapon that fires multiple shots simultaneously, such as Reaper’s Hellfire Shotguns and D.Va’s Fusion Cannons. In addition, we’ve changed the logic for when these weapons display a critical marker on your screen. It now requires 30% of your shots to be critical, rather than displaying it if a single pellet hits critically.
- Fixed a bug that would cause some weapons that fired multiple shots at once to inconsistently deal critical damage (e.g. Doomfist’s Hand Cannon, D.Va’s Fusion Cannons, Genji’s Shurikens, Reaper’s Hellfire Shotguns, Torbjörn’s Rivet Gun)
- BIOTIC RIFLE
- Increased the precision of the Relative Aim Sensitivity While Zoomed slider. This can be found under Options > Controls > Hero > Ana
- Developer Comments Currently, when two charging targets hit each other, they both fall down and are briefly stunned. You can see this interaction with Doomfist’s Rocket Punch and Reinhardt’s Charge abilities. Brigitte’s Shield Bash previously wasn’t included in this group, which meant that if she used Shield Bash against these other abilities, she would generally stun them and not be affected herself. This change makes it so if she uses Shield Bash against Charge or Rocket Punch, both players will be knocked down.
- SHIELD BASH
- Now knocks down and gets knocked down by other charging targets (e.g Reinhardt and Doomfist)
- Developer Comments We’ve given Earthshatter a complete overhaul to combat inconsistencies with its performance. These changes will make Earthshatter’s behavior more predictable and effective.
- Now consistently hits enemies near walls
- No longer hits enemies that enter the damage cone after the “wave” has passed that area
- No longer damages enemies behind barriers blocking it, even if the barrier is later dropped or destroyed
- Always travels up inclines and around the payload
Developer Comments Previously, Roadhog’s Scrap Gun alternate fire didn’t have damage falloff which sometimes made it too powerful against far away targets. To balance out a slight power decrease, especially against barriers, we decided to push his overall weapon’s effective range out bit further before damage falloff begins to take effect. Note: The alternate fire falloff begins from where the scrap projectiles are formed, not from Roadhog’s firing position.
- SCRAP GUN
- Primary fire falloff range changed from 10-20 meters to 15-30 meters
- Alternate fire now has damage falloff, which is the same as the new primary fire falloff (15-30 meters)
- GRAPPLING HOOK
- Now retains momentum when used on environments or structures without a ledge (e.g. walls)
- WIDOW'S KISS
- Increased the precision of the Relative Aim Sensitivity While Zoomed slider. This can be found under Options > Controls > Hero > Widowmaker
Competitive Play Updates
- Grand Master players can now group with players within 350 Skill Rating, up from 250 Skill Rating
Game Browser and Custom Games =
- Modified the Respawn Time Scalar custom game option to prevent respawn times longer than the default
- FFA Deathmatch
- Mercy now begins the match with her Caduceus Blaster equipped
- Blizzard World is now available to play in Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch
- 1v1 Mystery Heroes
- Mercy now begins the match with her Caduceus Blaster equipped
- Payload travel speed has been slightly increased
- Amount of time the payload pauses at checkpoints has been reduced
- Fixed a bug that caused players to sometimes slip off railings
- Fixed a bug that prevented Torbjörn Armor Packs Created statistic from updating if the ability landed directly on a friendly target
- Fixed a bug that caused a delay in selecting options on the Communication Wheel when cycling left using a mouse
- Fixed a bug that caused Brigitte’s Shield Bash movement to be interrupted when she impacted Symmetra’s turrets
- Fixed a bug that caused Doomfist’s Seismic Slam to cancel when using Symmetra’s Teleporter
- Fixed a bug that allowed D.Va to escape the map if she used Call Mech while standing on Mei’s Ice Wall
- Fixed a bug that caused the Dragonstrike arrow's size to be larger than his other arrows
- Fixed a bug that caused Mei’s Cryo-freeze to block the line of sight for Mei’s Blizzard
- Fixed a bug that allowed Mercy to gain ultimate charge from using her damage beam on attacks that cannot be damage boosted
- Fixed a bug that prevented Reaper’s Shadow Step from going on cooldown if he was interrupted
- Fixed a bug that allowed Reinhardt to pin targets that were behind him when using Charge
- Fixed a bug that prevented Reinhardt from pinning some targets when he turned during Charge
- Fixed a bug that allowed Reinhardt to use Earthshatter while standing on an enemy’s head
- Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Reinhardt’s Earthshatter from hitting enemies standing on a payload
- Fixed a bug that prevented Reinhardt’s Earthshatter from traveling up certain inclines
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused Roadhog’s Chain Hook to break after hitting an enemy while maintaining line of sight
- Fixed a bug that prevented Roadhog’s alternate fire from calculating falloff damage correctly
- Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Reinhardt’s Earthshatter from landing if he was launched into the air while activating it
- Fixed a bug that prevented Sombra from translocating to a moving platform
- Fixed a bug that prevented Sombra from destroying her Translocator if she was stunned or hacked
- Fixed a bug that prevented Sombra’s Translocator from accurately indicating where Sombra would arrive when the ability was used
- Fixed a bug that prevented Sombra’s Hack from canceling Symmetra’s Photon Barrier placement
- Fixed a bug that caused Symmetra’s teleport UI to persist after being eliminated
- Fixed a bug that prevented Widowmaker’s Grappling Hook from connecting to some ledges
- Fixed a bug that caused Widowmaker’s scoped shots on hero placed objects to count against her Scoped Weapon Accuracy statistic (e.g. Symmetra’s Teleporter, Torbjörn’s autocannon)
- Wrecking Ball
- Fixed a bug that prevented Wrecking Ball’s Piledriver from dealing falloff damage
- Fixed a bug that allowed Wrecking Ball’s Piledriver to deal damage twice if he slid off the environment during its duration
- Fixed a bug that allowed Wrecking Ball’s primary fire to continue working even if it was disabled in custom game