Brilliant astrophysicist Dr. Siebren de Kuiper's life changed forever when an experiment gone wrong gave him the ability to control gravity; now, Talon manipulates him to their own ends.
De Kuiper was considered a pioneer in his field. His life's work involved devising a way to harness the power of gravity. Equally known for his groundbreaking research and eccentric personality, he conducted most of his studies from his lab in The Hague. Believing that he was close to achieving his goal, he performed his most important experiment on an international space station.
But something went wrong, triggering the brief formation of a black hole. De Kuiper was only exposed to its power for a moment, but he suffered serious psychological damage. The area around him began to experience strange fluctuations in gravity, peaking and dropping in time with his reactions. He had to be evacuated immediately.
Upon returning to Earth, De Kuiper was quarantined in a secret government facility. Between his ravings about the patterns of the universe, the psychic damage he sustained, and the gravitic anomalies happening around him, he was deemed unsafe and detained for years under the name "Subject Sigma." Isolated and unable to control his powers, De Kuiper retreated into his own mind. He thought he would never see the outside world again.
When Talon discovered De Kuiper's existence, they infiltrated the facility and broke him out, planning to use his brilliance and research to further their plans. In their custody, De Kuiper slowly gained control of his powers. Now, gravity moved according to his will, and he was closer than ever to achieving his life's goal. But the same experiment that had opened his mind had also fractured it, and he struggled to keep the pieces together.
De Kuiper continues to develop his powers in hopes of unlocking the secrets of the universe, unaware that Talon is using both him and his research.
- All seasonal event items, which are marked with special event icons ( • • • • • ), are only available to be unlocked either through their respective Loot Boxes or by Credits within the event's duration. During the event, newly-introduced event items cost three times as much as non-event items of the same rarity, while returning seasonal items are unlocked at the regular price.
At some point after his failed experiment, which led to his containment by the government, "Subject Sigma" was separated from the outside world for many years. Later on, however, Talon discovered him through unknown means and sought to retrieve him to further their agenda.
Sigma is an eccentric, ambitious and highly intelligent man, often revered as a pioneer in the field of astrophysics.
After suffering extreme mental damage due to an unknown error in his research and experiments, his mind was fractured beyond belief, causing him to become a raving lunatic and commenting on a "melody" seemingly only he could hear. For years after his confinement, he was isolated and had only his own psyche, likely altering it even further than it had initially been. Despite this, he remains dedicated to his work and hopes to finally harness the true power of gravity.
Outside of the madness, he thinks and speaks in a cold and somewhat curious tone, treating every event around him as an "experiment", even after respawning he will comment it wasn't "unwelcomed" and often using metaphores related to physics and astrophysics (such as Newton and stardust) but he will often yell in a maniac way.
- The Hyperspheres only travel a maximum distance of 20m and automatically implode if they don't hit a target, however they bounce off any inanimate object without exploding until the 20m are traveled.
- Because of how they bounce, you can do corner shots and make the most use of his attacks at enclosed spaces.
- Kinetic Grasp
- His kinetic grasp works very similar to Dva's defense matrix, meaning it only protects what's in front of him. He absorbs projectiles but physical attacks or beams. Sigma can absorb every ability that defense matrix can, aside from Roadhog's Hook, which Matrix cannot absorb.
- Experimental Barrier
- His barrier will NOT regenerate its health while active, so whenever you don't need the shield anymore, call it back immediately. It is very easy to forget about the shield.
- Sigma was revealed on July 22, 2019.
- Sigma is the oldest playable character in the game, being 62 years old.
- Sigma have 3 sprays referencing dutch painters, Night Sky being a reference to Van Gogh's "Starry night" painting and "Gravity" and "Apple" referencing M. C. Escher's paintings "Relativity" and "Bond of Union", respectively.
- The Apple spray also references the famous correlation between Newton and his representation with the apple as his experiment with gravity, furtehr reference in his voiceline "Like Newton and the apple", said often when eliminating an enemy.
- The spray "Schroddinger" showing a box with a cat's face painted on it references the experiment of Schroddinger's cat, where a cat in a box can not be seen as dead or alive until inspected, being theoreticaly both dead and alive, an easy explanation coined by Schroddinger to explain particles that exist in both states until inspected.
- His "Damage" spray portrays an EMR of his head, but the image inside references the first recorded image of a black hole.
- His "Galileo" spray references the experiment where a bowling ball and a bunch of plumes fell at the same speed in a vacuum.
- The name also references the scientist Galileo Galilei, who contributed to modern science with several studies regarding planetary orbit and gravity.
- Sigma's theme song bears similarities to Erik Satie's Gnossienne n°1, a piano song composed without a pattern of time.
- The skin "Asylum" have Sigma wearing a facemask of the same kind wore by Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in the movie Silence of the Lambs.
- His name De Kuiper comes from the American/Dutch astronomer Gerard Kuiper, also the eponymous namesake of the Kuiper Belt.
|General||Main • Quotes • Gallery • Skins and Weapons • Sprays|
|Abilities||Hyperspheres • Kinetic Grasp • Accretion • Experimental Barrier • Gravatic Flux|
|Media||Animated Shorts||Sigma Origin Story|
|Heroes in Overwatch|