Each hero has several skins from each cosmetic rarity, with the Common skin being the default. As a rule of thumb, each cosmetic rarity of skin is as follows:
- Common - The base cosmetic and original appearance of a hero. Common skins cannot be unlocked, and each hero only has one. They are given to every player as default, for each hero.
- Rare - Rare skins are simple recolorings of the base skin for different heroes. Each hero has four Rare skins, each changing the primary color of the hero's outfit. Rare skins are only obtainable in non-seasonal Loot Boxes and have never been offered beyond this.
- Epic - Epic skins are by number, the most plentiful of the skins (due to the abundance of OWL skins). Epic skins are either advanced recolorings of the base appearance of a hero, or are colorings with very slight three dimensional additions. As a whole, these skins take the silhouette of a hero, and do not alter it drastically. Epic skins are obtainable in Seasonal Loot Boxes also.
- Legendary - Legendary Skins are the skins which alter the hero's outfit drastically, changing their weapon model, colors and outfit. Legendary skins are obtained via various methods, but can commonly be obtained through base and seasonal Loot Boxes.
Epic and Legendary skins may also alter various Voice Lines, both standard ones, and player selected lines.
There are 363 skins obtained from loot boxes and 211 skins which cannot be obtained from normal loot boxes. Loot boxes in this case refers to all boxes, seasonal or not.
As such, there are several methods of obtaining skins in Overwatch:
- Loot Boxes: Base Loot Boxes will provide players with any skin which is not locked to a seasonal event.
- Seasonal Loot Boxes provide players with specific cosmetics for that.
- Anniversary Loot Boxes allow players to unlock any cosmetic from any event.
- Seasonal Loot Boxes provide players with specific cosmetics for that.
- Currency: Currency obtained from Loot Boxes or Role Queue allows players to purchase cosmetics depending on the seasonal event. The same rules for anniversary apply here.
- Overwatch League Tokens allow for the purchase of specific OWL league Epic or Legendary Skins.
- Players are awarded Away versions of these skins on purchase.
- Skins can be obtained via various events or mini events. Each event requires a set of win challenges to be completed to unlock 3 skins over the course of 3 weeks. Mini events may last longer and provide one skin. This skin can be epic or sometimes legendary.
- Purchasing the Origins Edition of Overwatch provides 5 specific Legendary skins.
- Preordering the game provides the player with Noire (Widowmaker).
- Attending BlizzCon or purchasing a Blizzcon Virtual Ticket provides the player with:
- BlizzCon 2016: BlizzCon 2016 (Bastion).
- BlizzCon 2017: BlizzCon 2017 (Winston).
- BlizzCon 2018: Demon Hunter (Sombra).
- This skin was also obtainable during Halloween Terror 2019
- BlizzCon 2019: Illidan (Genji) and Tryrande (Symmetra).
- BlizzCon 2020: Raynhardt (Reinhardt).
- Some skins are given out without needing pre-requites during different times, such as Kerrigan (Widowmaker)
- Pink (Mercy) was obtained by purchasing the skin as part of a charity drive.
- Watching enough hours of Overwatch League Contenders matches gives viewers certain heroes' Contenders skins (both home and away, like with OWL skins bought using OWL tokens).
The full list of skins can be found here.
Many Legendary skins unlock unique voice lines, usually replacing existing ones, which can be triggered in-game.
|Captain Amari or Horus||Hero Change||Captain Amari, reporting for duty.||▶️|
|Corsair||Hero Change||Ana, at the helm.|
|Gambler or Riverboat||Hero Change||Cassidy, all in!|
|Respawn||Not time to fold'em yet.||▶️|
|Might be on tilt. Might be, I don't care.||▶️|
|Final Blow||Just wasn't in the cards for you. (Final Blow)|
|Mystery Man or Vigilante||Datamined||The weed of crime bore some... crazy fruit.||▶️|
|I've saved your life. It belongs to me now.||▶️|
|I know the evil that lurks in the hearts of men.||▶️|
|Cassidy always knows.||▶️|
|Deadeye||It's high moon. (self and hostile)|
|Blackwatch||Hero Change||Cassidy reporting.||▶️|
|Van Helsing||Hello||(Hello) Hail.|
|(Hello) Well met.|
|Hero Change||(Hero Change) Cassidy here.|
|Lifeguard||Deadeye||It's high tide. (self and hostile)||▶️|
|Deadeye Elimination||Someone call the ambulance.|
|Junebug or B.Va||Call Mech||All systems buzzing!||▶️|
|Damage Boost||Weapon systems are buzzing!||▶️|
|Did that sting?||▶️|
|Kill Streak||I'm the queen bee!||▶️|
|Junker or Scavenger||Respawn||You hear me, baby? Hold together!||▶️|
|Officer D.Va||Round Start||Now authorized to use lethal force.||▶️|
|Hero Change||D.Va reporting in!||▶️|
|Final Blow||That was your last warning!||▶️|
|You have the right to remain... oh.||▶️|
|You're going to get a parking ticket.||▶️|
|Cruiser||During Setup||We got this made in the shade!||▶️|
|Round Start||Pop the clutch and let's go!||▶️|
|Hopped up and ready to kill!||▶️|
|Respawn||(Respawn) I'm cruisin' for a bruisin!||▶️|
|Boosters||Grr, flooring it!||▶️|
|Call Mech||Firing up!||▶️|
|Eject||Time to split!||▶️|
|Final Blow||Get bent!||▶️|
|Melee Final Blow||You ordered a knuckle sandwich?||▶️|
|On Fire||I'm cookin'!||▶️|
Byakko no ken o kurae! (self and hostile)
|The white tiger becomes me! (friendly)||▶️|
Oni no ken o kurae! (self and hostile)
|The demon becomes me! (friendly)||▶️|
Waga kokoro wa oni no kokoro.
|Sentai||Hero Change||Genji's here.
|Final Blow||Break the limit!||▶️|
|Okami or Lone Wolf||Set-Up||The wolf stirs from his den.||▶️|
|Sonic Arrow||The wolf marks his prey.||▶️|
|See through the wolf's eyes.||▶️|
Ōkami yo, waga teki wo kurae! (Self and Hostile)
|The wolf hunts for its prey! (Friendly)||▶️|
|Dragonstrike Elimination||The wolf is sated.||▶️|
|The wolf feasts.||▶️|
|Kill Streak||The wolf hungers.||▶️|
|On Fire||The wolf awakens.||▶️|
|The wolf howls within me.||▶️|
|Damage Boosted||The wolf stirs within me.||▶️|
|Ultimate Status (100%)||I am ready to unleash the wolf.||▶️|
|Replaced Voice Line||I choose you, spirit wolf.||▶️|
|Firefighter or Rescue Mei||Hero Change||Mei on duty.||▶️|
|On Fire||I'm on fire! Isn't that against regulations?||▶️|
|Mei-rry||Final Blow||Happy holidays!||▶️|
|Replaced Voice Line||You have to let it snow.|
|Chang'e||Datamined||Those astronauts never found me!||▶️|
|Home sweet home.||▶️|
|Do you think there's any bunny food around here?||▶️|
|Beekeeper||Respawning||Ow! That stings!||▶️|
|Devil or Imp||Hero Change||Mercy, as summoned.||▶️|
|Valkyrie||Heroes never die!... for a price. (friendly)||▶️|
Dein Teufel ist da! (hostile)
English: Your devil is here!
|Sigrún or Valkyrie||Hero Change||Mercy is here.||▶️|
|Kill||I am the chooser of the slain.||▶️|
|Valkyrie||Til Valhalla! (friendly)||▶️|
Deine Walküre ist da! (hostile)
English: Your valkyrie is here!
|Witch||Hero Change||Mercy, as summoned.||▶️|
|Mercy has been summoned.||▶️|
|Valkyrie||My servants never die! (friendly)||▶️|
|Resurrect||I still have use for you. (friendly)||▶️|
Deine Hexe ist da! (hostile)
English: Your witch is here!
|Healing Tether||Casting a healing spell.||▶️|
|My healing spell is upon you.||▶️|
|Your health is restored.||▶️|
|Maintaining Healing Tether||Maintaining the healing spell.||▶️|
|Damage Tether||Enchanting your damage.||▶️|
|My damage spell is upon you.||▶️|
|I have empowered you.||▶️|
|Maintaining the damage enchantment.||▶️|
|Casting a spell on you!||▶️|
|Did someone call for a witch?||▶️|
|My spell is still upon you.||▶️|
|Respawn||Witches don't die that easily.||▶️|
|Sniper Sighted||I sense a concealed enemy.||▶️|
|On Fire||I'm on fire, but this witch doesn't burn.||▶️|
|Winged Victory||Hero Change||Mercy has arrived.||▶️|
|Valkyrie||Onwards to victory! (friendly)||▶️|
|Healing Tether||You needed a goddess?||▶️|
Deine Göttin ist da! (hostile)
English: Your goddess is here!
|Thunderbird or Raindancer||Respawn||Thunderbird systems online.||▶️|
|Mechaqueen or Raptorion||Respawn||Raptorion systems online.|
|Payload Stuck||We need that payload to make a 180.||▶️|
|Elimination||Damn ankle busters.||▶️|
¡La oscuridad te espera! (self and hostile)
English: The darkness awaits you!
|During Set Up||I'm on the hunt.||▶️|
|Final Blow||Don't make me laugh.||▶️|
|Punk or Ultraviolet||Final Blow||Heh, wanker.||▶️|
|Track and Field or Sprinter||Recall||False start!||▶️|
|Respawn||And she's back in the race!||▶️|
|I got my second wind.||▶️|
|Whew! I think I hit the wall.||▶️|
|Kill Streak||Feeling that runner's high.||▶️|
|Time Running Out||We're almost to the finish line. Let's do this!||▶️|
|Set-up||Let's go for the gold!||▶️|
|Don't forget to stretch!||▶️|
|On your marks, get set, go!||▶️|
|T.Racer or Mach.T||Hero Change||Here comes... T. Racer!||▶️|
|Set-up||I'm in pole position!||▶️|
|Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!||▶️|
|Jingle||Blink||Dashing through the snow! (singing)||▶️|
|Ho ho ho!||▶️|
|Pulse Bomb||That's some coal for your stocking!||▶️|
|Got ya something!||▶️|
|Kills||I think I heard some "slay" bells. *laughs*||▶️|
|You were on the naughty list!||▶️|
|Eliminating Santaclad Torbjörn||Ohh, sorry Santa!||▶️|
|Eliminating Mei-rry Mei||Aw, Mei's feeling the holiday spirit!||▶️|
|Set-up||Waiting's the hardest part!||▶️|
|Hero Change||Tracer's coming to town!||▶️|
|Hero Selected||Cheers, love! The holidays are here!||▶️|
|Damage Boosted||You're going on my nice list!||▶️|
- 192 skins are no longer available for purchase, because Florida Mayhem, Los Angeles Valiant and San Francisco Shock changed their team colors.
- Furthermore, the Alien Skin for Zarya is also no longer available for purchase due to a sexual harrassment allegation controversy with Jay "Sinatraa" Won, the former Overwatch League MVP that helped design said cosmetic. The skin also freely refundable and does not appear anywhere within the cosmetic filters.
- Pink Mercy cannot be purchased anymore, as the charity drive that it benefitted is now over.