Hanzo was born into the Shimada Empire three years before his brother Genji. As the eldest child, he would be the heir to the empire after his father. His family trained him in martial arts, archery, sword fighting, and the Dragonstrike, all of which he became extremely skilled at.
Though Hanzo took his position seriously, Genji did not. When their father died, Hanzo's first action was to convince Genji to take more responsibility in the clan. Genji refused, and a fight broke out between the two that left Genji injured and scarred. Hanzo had thought he was dead, and left the clan out of sorrow. He vowed never to use a sword again, and turned to archery for combat. The Shimada clan was later dismantled by Overwatch.
Hanzo wandered the world after leaving, though every year he would return to Hanamura to honor Genji. Many assassins were sent after him during this time.
In Dragons, Hanzo returned to Hanamura on the anniversary of his brother's "death," only to find what he believes to be an assassin stalking him. At first, he did not realize who it was, but after a long fight the assassin revealed himself to be Genji. Genji forgave Hanzo for almost murdering him, and left him again after leaving him some words to ponder.
Hanzo constantly aims to prove himself, be it for responsibility or redemption. He heavily preoccupies a code of honor, yet displays arrogance at times. Despite their sibling rivalry, Hanzo really cares about Genji, as proven by the fact that he rejected his own clan when they forced him to kill his brother. Nonetheless, he sometimes misses his home and laments about what could've happened if he'd fulfilled his destiny as the master of the Shimada empire.
Although his regards to his family and duty has caused him a lot of trauma, Hanzo has his moments where he shows his own side of humor. He likes to call out that his enemies fall like certain things, depending on the map where the match is held. For example, he states, "My enemies fall like...heh heh heh...destroyed pinatas!" while in Dorado. He enjoys a good bowl of ramen once in a while and,oddly, has an interest in riches, as conveyed by when he asks Junkrat about where he hides his treasure.
- Hanzo excels at killing enemies at long range with his bow.
- Use Dragonstrike to clear enemies from an objective.
- Hanzo's Dragonstrike can pierce through any wall, so in the hands of a skilled player, it is possible to eliminate enemies without ever exposing yourself to damage and gunfire.
- Hanzo works best against turtled or cornered targets.
- Hanzo's voice line "From one thing, know ten thousand things" is a direct quote from the famous martial arts text Go Rin No Sho: The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi.
- The quote "I choose you, spirit dragon" is a reference to the Pokémon anime; "I choose you" is a quote which the anime's protagonist, Ash Ketchum, is known for.
- The quote "Flow like water" is also a reference to The Book of Five Rings; however, it may also be a reference to famous martial artist Bruce Lee.
- Hanzo's name could be an allusion to Hattori Hanzō, a famous samurai from Japanese history, who is often portrayed in popular culture as a ninja master.
- When using Dragonstrike with the Okami or Lone Wolf skin, the dragons are replaced with wolves. The voice line used also changes.
|攻擊||士兵76 ● 死神 ● 法拉 ● 源氏 ● 閃光 ● 麥卡利●辛梅塔●半藏 ● 壁壘機兵 ● 奪命女|
|肉盾||D.Va ● 攔路豬 ● 札莉雅 ● 溫斯頓 ● 萊茵哈特|
|輔助||慈悲 ● 禪亞塔 ● 路西歐 ● 安娜|